Being a believer in Jesus Christ and growing deep in that relationship is a journey, a heart journey. Just like any relationship, without communication and time invested, it can grow shallow. Pondering God's Word and looking for its truths is one way I get to know the Father, His character, and His nature. So, please join me in this endeavor and add your thoughts as we travel through God's Word on this heart journey.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

God Still Performs Miracles!

Today I am writing from a very personal vantage point, so this post may be a bit different from my previous ones.

Currently, I am sitting in an ICU waiting room in San Antonio with my sister and other family and friends. My niece's husband collapsed yesterday morning while working out at his local gym. Mike and Sheri and are wonderful, godly young people who have four children and a full life. Mike is a dermatologist; Sheri, trained as a Nurse Practitioner, has been a stay-at-home mom raising their precious kids. They are parents to three young boys and a daughter whom they adopted from China three years ago. Mike is active with his boys' sports activities, checks on his parents, and tends to his medical practice. The entire family is active in their local church and have an alive, growing relationship with Jesus.

According to video from the fitness center, Mike was unconscious for up to five minutes before CPR was started. It took five shocks from the paddles before a faint heartbeat was picked up. After being flown to San Antonio, he began having seizures which lasted until late last night. All tests came back negative, and answers were few. He was non-responsive to stimulation or voice commands. Needless to say, his condition was extremely critical and very bleak when I left the hospital late last night.

As I drove my sister to San Antonio yesterday and then sat in the waiting room with friends and family, I found myself praying, but I knew only the Lord knew what I was saying - I didn't even know. Remember the scripture that says that the Holy Spirit prays for us when our words are only groans? Well, that is what He was doing, and I knew that my gibberish was somehow getting through. And when my precious niece was draped over her husband's motionless body hooked up to all kinds of modern technology, I groaned, and He prayed!

This morning as I was alone in the hotel room, I took my Bible and it opened to Psalm 24:8 - "Who is the King of glory? The Lord, strong and mighty; the Lord, invincible in battle" As I read those words, my groanings turned into words and a weird peace came over me. The kind of peace that surpasses human understanding. The kind of peace that only God can give.

Not long ago, I wrote a post about what to do when life looks bleak. Everyone, regardless of spiritual condition, will encounter bleakness. For some it seems to endure forever, for some it comes in seasons, and for some it is fleeting. The question for all of us to ask ourselves is what do we do when the bleakness comes? Do we turn inward and withdraw like a turtle? Or do we turn outward and lash out in despair? Or do we turn upward to the Savior and let Him wrap His arms around us? Let me say here that if you have never nailed down your personal relationship with Jesus Christ, now is the time to do so. We are not promised tomorrow. In fact, we are not promised the rest of today! Seek someone whom you know to have that relationship and visit about your own. Or read the box on the left  that tells you how to have a personal relationship with Jesus. Don't wait!

I arrived at the hospital around 10 this morning to some much needed good news. Mike had begun moving his arms and legs! Later, he smiled when Sheri spoke to him! And later, he began to to speak a few words - even calling out his sons' names! Within a couple of hours, he said he wanted to play baseball!

My friends, God still performs miracles, and I am privileged to witness one firsthand! By mid-afternoon, the doctors were talking about how bright the future looks. Can you believe that? That is the question I've been wrestling with these past couple of days. So I'll put it to you: can you believe? do you believe, will you believe in the Lord who is strong and mighty? When circumstances tell you "no," will you still believe?

When our world is shaken, we need to know what our action plan is. Will you turn upward and let your groanings be heard by the Lord, strong and mighty?

Please understand that I know that my weak groanings alone are not the reason for the miracle we are experiencing. I cannot begin to count the hundreds of people, many of whom do not even know Mike and Sheri, who have been pleading their case before the Father. When the body of believers comes together in like mind to Him, what power and blessing it brings!

Lastly, I know that Mike is not of-the-woods yet. The winds of life can change in an instant. But whatever the outcome, believers need to know that the Lord's will and purpose is omniscient - beyond human understanding. And if His answers are not what we asked for, it is still going to be okay. As our relationship with Him grows deeper, our understanding and embrace of His will grows deeper as well.

And lastly, lastly, to God be the glory in all things for great and mighty is He, our Lord.

3 comments:

  1. well said, Debbie. I was convicted this morning as I heard the rapidly improving good news. I had prayed many times in the last 20 hours. I knew that our God had all the power and ability to raise Mike from the dead. He has done it before many times. I asked him to raise Mike, but I believe I set my expectation low so i would not be disappointed. I am reminded today that I should ask in belief knowing that He is good and will give His children good gifts. May I be reminded that I serve a God who lives and listens to His children like He did when Abraham pleaded and tells us to seek, knock and continue with expectation. I do not begin to know how the pleadings of a broken man influence the will of a sovereign God. I only know that His word and HIStory serve as memorials to this fact. I praise for Mike and I pray that this will be a lesson to this confortable evangelical that my weak perception of who my God is does not do Him justice.
    Thanks for your post-
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following the prayer request emails today and been praying for Mike. It is so exciting to see when God works in a miraculous way, but even in the small step by step, day by day mercies He shows us we are exceedingly blessed. I rejoice with you and your family and will pray for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rejoicing with you and all your family! Our God is a great God!

    ReplyDelete