Being a believer in Jesus Christ and growing deep in that relationship is a journey, a heart journey. Just like any relationship, without communication and time invested, it can grow shallow. Pondering God's Word and looking for its truths is one way I get to know the Father, His character, and His nature. So, please join me in this endeavor and add your thoughts as we travel through God's Word on this heart journey.

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Old Oak Tree...

It seems that many of my Bible readings lately deal with the same theme: the reasons and benefits of meditating on God's Word. The Bible study I'm doing right now, "Following God With All Your Heart," makes that point in every lesson. But even when I'm just doing some "free" reading of the scriptures, the idea of being in the Word shows up! I guess the Lord is really trying to get that message across to me!

One such reading took me to Psalm 1 a few days ago. I have dubbed it the "Oak Tree" Psalm - even though it doesn't actually mention an oak tree! I love oak trees! I grew up in an area where the old, stately oak trees were very common. In fact, we had several in our front yard. There is a reason that the oak tree is the symbol-tree usually used in family trees and ancestry data. It grows tall and wide, is fairly disease-free, and has a root system that grows to China! It is a symbol of longevity and stability. I love oak trees!

That's why when I read Psalm 1:2-3, I immediately think "oak" tree.
"He whose delight is in the Word of God and who meditates on it day and night, will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and its leaf does not wither, and in whatever he does, he prospers."
My interpretation: The person who loves the Word and who studies it consistently will be like a tree ...
  • firmly planted -  deeply rooted, a tower of stability and security, able to withstand the storms of life
  • by streams of water - nourished and fertilized, which enables its roots to grow deep and healthy
  • will bear fruit in season - life produces results, by-products are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control, which abound when needed (in season)
  • its leaf does not wither - doesn't fade in heat or drought - when the storms of life pound and blow
  • ...he prospers - meditating and applying God's truths and wisdom results in God's approval and blessings upon his life
That sounds like an oak tree to me!

When my parents built that house with the big oak trees in the front yard, my dad quickly planted other trees in the back yard. He loved trees and wanted shade in the back like we had in the front. His tree of choice to plant was the fruitless Mulberry because of its fast-growing nature. Well, they did grow and grow quickly. We had shade within three years. And by year ten, the trees were gone. Their root system doesn't grow deep; it grows wide! It is not a firmly planted tree. The roots grow right under the surface of the ground, which causes all kinds of problems from ruining the yard to making the tree susceptible to crashing when the terrible storms of Tornado Alley blow through.

So, if asked whether I want to plant oak trees or mulberry trees in my yard, I have to go with the oak. I know the oak takes longer to grow and become the beautiful tree of my childhood, but I want a firmly rooted tree that will weather the storms.

I want my life to be like the old oak tree in the front yard of my childhood home. How do I do that? - By delighting in His Word and meditating on it consistently.

You know, I am really glad God keeps reminding me of the lessons I need to learn and apply. It's sort of like the yellow ribbon around the oak tree! He constantly reminds me of His love and desires for my life.

I love oak trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment